Dr Bassem Gerges
Dr Bassem Gerges (Bas) understands the importance of providing high level care in a supportive environment. He has an interest in providing the appropriate gynaecological treatments and surgery in the least invasive way with quality, specialised obstetric care to support women throughout their pregnancy journey.
Having supported his wife through her pregnancies, he recognises that it is important for women to feel listened to without judgement, to have any concerns addressed compassionately and professionally, and to communicate clearly and thoughtfully.
Bas looks forward to having the privilege of guiding you through your gynaecological and obstetric needs.
Bas has a keen interest in laparoscopic (key-hole) surgery, and his training has given him the knowledge, expertise and skills to determine if and when to perform surgery, whether it be robotic-assisted, laparoscopic, hysteroscopic or urogynaecological. He holds the highest level of accreditation (RANZCOG/AGES Level 6) in Advanced Laparoscopic Gynaecological Surgery in Australia. He is also particularly interested in gynaecological and “endometriosis” ultrasound, allowing him to provide women with holistic care. Dr Gerges has been performing vNOTES (Vaginal Natural Orifice Transluminal Endoscopic Surgery) hysterectomies since 2019.
As your gynaecologist, he looks forward to providing you with the latest medical and minimally invasive surgical options.
Bas’ experience in the diagnosis and treatment of conditions that can affect pregnancy (such as endometriosis and fibroids) has allowed him assist women with their desire to fall pregnant, and continue to see them through to the birth of their children.
He appreciates that for many women, pregnancy can be both a wonderful and, at times, stressful experience, so he takes the time to reassure and guide women from their first appointment through to their post-natal care.
As your private obstetrician, he looks forward to providing you with individualised care throughout your pregnancy.
Bas delivers and performs Gynaecological and Advanced Endoscopic Surgery at:
Bas has public VMO appointments at Blacktown & Westmead Hospitals.
The Person Behind the Doctor
Bas is married and has two children. Aside from spending time with his beloved family, his interests include going to the beach, scuba diving, playing soccer, fine dining and live music.
- Obstetrics – general, pre-eclampsia, gestational diabetes, thyroid disease and twin pregnancies.
- Gynaecology – general, abnormal pap smears and colposcopy, abnormal uterine bleeding, pelvic pain, adnexal pathology, family planning and contraception, early pregnancy including ectopic pregnancy and menopause.
- Robotic-Assisted and Advanced Laparoscopic Surgery – endometriosis (mild to severe (stage IV)), fibroids, ovarian cysts, hysterectomy, pelvic floor repair and vNOTES procedures.
- Urogynaecology – prolapse, urinary incontinence and native tissue repairs.
- Ultrasound – early pregnancy, general gynaecological ultrasound and deep infiltrating endometriosis scans.
- Member of Sydney West Advanced Pelvic Surgery (SWAPS) – involved with Fellowship training and research.
- Research – presentations and publications in national and international conferences and journals.
- Academic appointments – Currently serving on the Executive Board, as Honorary Secretary, of the Australasian Gynaecological Endoscopic & Surgery Society (AGES). Involved in educating junior doctors and medical students in his role as Honorary Associate Clinical Lecturer at the University of Sydney and Conjoint Lecturer at Western Sydney University.
What do Bassem’s Qualifications Mean?
- Master of Advanced Gynaecological Surgery with Distinction – This consisted of two years of intense training and research, in addition to the 6 years of general O&G training, uniquely qualifying Bas to perform highly skilled, advanced gynaecological surgery.
- Fellowship in Advanced Gynaecological Laparoscopic Surgery – This was a two year fellowship completed with the Sydney West Advanced Pelvic Surgery (SWAPS) group. This fellowship is accredited with the Australasian Gynaecological Endoscopic & Surgery Society (AGES). Bas serves on the Executive Board of AGES as Honorary Treasurer, having previously served as the Honorary Secretary, Board Director and Trainee Representative, and continues to be an AGES Training Supervisor.
- Fellowship in Gynaecological & Endometriosis Ultrasound – A one year ultrasound & research fellowship, during which time Bas had multiple papers published with leading journals (Ultrasound in Obstetrics and Gynaecology, International Journal of Urogynaecology, Australian and New Zealand Journal of Obstetrics and Gynaecology) and presented his research at national and international conferences including Las Vegas, Montreal and Rome (AGES, AAGL and ISUOG).
- Fellow of the Royal Australian & New Zealand College of Obstetricians & Gynaecologists (FRANZCOG) – Six years of specialist training, allowing Bas to practice as a specialist Obstetrician & Gynaecologist. Bas completed specialist training at Nepean Hospital. Prior to this, Bas completed his medical internship & residency at Westmead Public Hospitals.
- Bachelors of Science (Info Sys), Master of Commerce (Fin), Bachelor of Medicine/Bachelor of Surgery [MBBS (Hons)] – After completing a Bachelor of Science & Masters of Commerce, Bas went on to obtain his medical degree from the University of Sydney, where he graduated with Honours.